Kensington Public School

Honour, Knowledge and Community

Telephone02 9663 3955


Please speak to our school office for any enrolment queries throughout the year.

Local enrolment area

Most schools have designated local enrolment areas. The School Finder shows our local enrolment area. Note: local enrolment areas are subject to change.

Starting school in Kindergarten

Your child can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year. By law, all children must be enrolled in school by their sixth birthday.

Parents of children born between 1st January and 31st July can choose between sending their child to school the year their child turns five or the year they turn six. It is recommended to seek advice from your preschool to check if your child is ready for school.

How to enrol 

When you’re ready to enrol your child in our school, you’ll attend an interview with the principal. There you can discuss any medical conditions or other special circumstances before your child starts school. We may also complete a risk assessment on the enrolment.

For more information, visit primary school enrolment or contact us to discuss your child’s enrolment.

Download an application to enrol (PDF 579KB).

Application forms must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.

For more information, visit primary school enrolment.

Download an application to enrol (PDF 5.9MB).

The application form must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.

Temporary visas and international students

For information about eligibility and forms to complete, visit the temporary residents program.

If your child is a temporary visa holder you will need to provide the following documents to the school when enrolling:

  1. Passport or travel documents
  2. Current visa and previous visas (if applicable)
  3. Authority to Enrol issued by the Temporary Residents Program Unit. This is required for visitor and temporary visa holders (other than sub class 571P reffered to below)
  4. Authority to Enrol or evidence of permission to transfer issued by the International Student Centre (if holding an international full fee student visa, sub class 571P)
  5. Evidence of the visa the student has applied for (if the student holds a bridging visa)

After the enrolment forms have been completed and processed and a school uniform has been purchased, your child is ready to start.

Temporary residents will need to wait until the Temporary Residents Program has given Kensington Public the authority for your child to start school.

Parents of Kindergarten students will receive information about the Orientation Program and when to start the following year.

For more information on enrolling in a NSW Government School please click here (NSW Department of Education – Going to a public school).

Non-Local Enrolments

Please refer to the following Enrolment Guidelines and complete the attached Non-Local Application Form and email your completed form to:

We will assess applications for non-local enrolment on a case-by-case basis.