Kensington Public School

Honour, Knowledge and Community

Telephone02 9663 3955

Parents, carers and the community

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

The Parents & Citizens' Association (P&C) is a volunteer organisation that promotes the interests of our children by bringing parents, citizens, students and teaching staff into close co-operation. The P&C is involved in encouraging parent and community participation in the school and promoting the welfare of students at the school. The P&C also raises funds that help finance improvements to our school and provide additional resources.

Meetings are held in the school library on the 4th Tuesday of each month and all parents are encouraged to attend. The President of the P&C is on the School Council, representing the organisation.  Issues are taken to Council, when necessary, by the President and reports from Council are tendered at P&C meetings.

Visit the P&C website at P & C blogspot for the latest information on events, P&C meetings and fundraising targets. Please contact the P&C at

2019 Committee:

President: Jock Marmotta

Vice President: Jasmin Backhouse

Vice President: Petra Sahlberg

Secretary: Megan Escott

Treasurer: Maya Tangendjaja

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – 24-hour advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.